Thursday 31 July 2008

Gas price hikes: your stories

I am one of the few people in the UK who actually looks forward to energy price rises. I'm a designer or renewable energy products so hope that the rising prices of gas and electricity will force people to re-consider where they get their energy from. People are currently reliant on the big energy companies and don't think about investing in "inflation proof" energy.

I design ecological, renewable energy products for people's homes but feel that there is no government investment in this sort of clean energy. I can't get any government grants to fund my designs and local authorities make it almost impossible to install clean energy products, like small wind turbines. In Germany, the government provides 100% grants for people to install solar panels.

I am not affected by the gas price hikes as I heat my home the most energy efficient way with an electricity powered heat-pump. A solar heating water system costs only two thousand pounds to install and would pay for itself, especially as energy prices rise. Every new-build property should have one but the government don't seem to be seriously committed to renewable energy.

continue

No comments: